The Incorporated Village of Lattingtown with an area of 2,400 acres, was incorporated in 1931 and as of 2011 has about 1,700 residents. The Village of Lattingtown is in the Township of Oyster Bay and is one of 64 villages in Nassau County, NY.
Our Early History
The land of Lattingtown, so peaceful and naturally beautiful, conceals a restless spirit with a history of change.
First the Native Americans, the Matinecock tribe, lived in the area which was mainly marsh land. Around 1660 the European settlers, primarily English, started arriving. Richard Latting bought the Lattingtown area from two Matinecock chiefs, Suscannemon and Werah around 1680. Richard then gave the land to his son Josiah (1641-1720) who made a living collecting marsh reeds for thatch roofs. Josiah built the Latting House in 1690, which still exists on Lattingtown Road across from Frost Creek Drive.
The town of Pleasant Valley, the early name for Latting Town was a community of asparagus farmers, thatch collectors and baymen. In 200 years the town grew to approximately 60 houses, two stores and a chapel.
All was well in the village until 1900, when two successful wealthy friends from Manhattan decided they wanted to build their summer estates in the area. They bought the village of Lattingtown and tore it down. Where the village once stood are separate brick pier entrances to the two former estates, Meudon and Ormston. According to Amy Driscoll of the Locust Valley Historical Society, the villagers were paid well for their land and happy to leave. Many of the villagers were asparagus farmers but a blight at the end of the 19 century rendered the land unfarmable. The chapel was rebuilt in 1912 as St. John’s of Lattingtown Episcopal Church on land and funds donated by one of the new estate owners, Mr. Guthrie.
The original town was located on the north and south side of Lattingtown Road between East Beach Drive and Peacock Lane. *
* The above excerpt was taken from "Lattingtown Harbor History" by Susan Hillberg. To read her entire history of Lattingtown Harbor, click here "Lattingtown Harbor History".